Friday, January 1, 2010

Welcome to Cold Comfort Living

We are a young, busy family who live in an apartment in the city, yet we want to lessen our footprint, lower our costs and get healthier. We also want to be in the outdoors more and in front of the tube less. In other words, we want to step back and get off the grid some and get back some control over our lives. We think that we may not be alone in this desire. But is it possible? What can we do realistically without moving to the country and starting a farm? That is what this blog is about.

As the Mom, I will try gardening on my patio, cook from recipes more, boxes less, and keep the budget in line. As the Dad, my husband will try products -- both for life in our apartment and for outdoor living. So if you know a product for camping or living more green, please share it. If you have a product that you want reviewed, let us know. Warning: we will be brutally honest.

We will blog about our attempts (and failings) at living more green, eating better, and overall enjoying life more without going broke. We want to make a dialogue. Help us learn. Learn from us. Let's grow together. Let's make 2010 the year that we all did just a little better.

4 comments:

Sonya said...

This is great! I look forward to your writings! I did a patio container garden last year and it turned out beautifully! I grew eggplants,tomatoes,cucumbers and bell peppers! I very rarely cook from a box anymor. The dutch are not big process food eaters here...cooking from scratch isnt hard, it just takes some time and patience.

ChiaLynn said...

Dan and I are doing something similar - it's an ongoing process. (For instance, the gardens we intended to put in last year will be put in this year...) I'm excited to see what you guys come up with!

If you haven't already found it, Homegrown Evolution is a pretty cool site: http://www.homegrownevolution.com/

Claudya Martinez said...

When I started Sundays in my City, it was my way of encouraging people to enjoy locally. It's good for the environment and it awakens our awareness to the beauty that surrounds us and in turn makes us want to protect that beauty.

chitra said...

All the Best for you. Just peeped in to see what's here.:)